Unfortunately, we were recently notified that the University will not be allowing in-person programming to occur this summer, and therefore, we will have to cancel our Summer Research Program for 2021. Instead, we would like to invite you to participate during Summer 2022. Dates and information about Summer 2022 will be available later this year.
TWO-WEEK INTENSIVE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
IMMERSIVE RESEARCH PROGRAM TO ASSESS THE ECOLOGY AND ECOSYSTEM EFFECTS OF THE OCEAN’S TOP PREDATORS.
Science & Conservation: The research mission of this program will be to assess the ecology and biology of sharks in relation to urbanization and climate stressors. Research activities will include shark abundance surveys, tagging, and tracking, as well as physiological sampling and associated laboratory analyses.
Unparalleled research opportunities: The project allows students to gain research training and engage in scientific inquiry through participation with University of Miami scientists and staff. Participation involves scientifically sound practices and measurable outcomes in marine conservation biology.
Sea & Lab: : Each summer research program will be two weeks in duration, composed of both boat-based and laboratory research work at the University of Miami.
- Diversity and abundance monitoring
- Immunological health assessment
- Food-web dynamics & predator-prey interactions
- Movement ecology and habitat use
- Functional morphology
- Coral reef restoration
- Drumline sampling and trap surveys
- Acoustic tagging and tracking telemetry
- Satellite tagging and tracking telemetry
- Non-lethal biopsy sampling
- Morphological measurements
- Diet & nutritional analysis
- Blood sampling and processing
What You Can Expect
If you are a high school student, and trying to apply for University of Miami Summer Scholars Program, you may have reached this page by mistake. Please visit the Summer Scholars website
for more information.
Session 1 | June 6 – June 18, 2021
Session 2 | June 20 – July 2, 2021
- Boat-based shark research
- Laboratory activities
- Research equipment
- Scientific training
- Captain, crew, staff
- Accommodations (UM intern housing is available at a separate cost)
- Transportation to and from Miami
Program fee: $2,330
Details subject to change. We will notify future applicants of any changes.